On the 25th and 26th of May, 2011, in Paris (France) Elvira Nabiullina, the Minister, took part in the session of the Council of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) at the ministerial level associated with the OECD’s 50t
The Council session was held under the chairmanship of the US State Secretary Hilary Clinton and included the following participants: the Prime Minister of France Francois Fillon, the Prime Minister of Japan Naoto Kann, the Prime Minister of Greece Georges Papandreou, the President of Chile Sebastian Pinera, and other representatives of high standing from the OECD member countries and a number of some other nonmember countries.
The Russian delegation at the arrangement composed of the First Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation A.I. Denisov, the First Deputy Minister of Justice of the Russian Federation A.V. Fedorov, and the Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Russian Federation R.R. Gizatulin, the RF government spokesman at the negotiations on acceding of Russia to the OECD V.I. Tkachenko.
The OECD Council provided for the following questions to be debated:
- Mobilization of resources for further development (in innovations, trading, taxation, government expenditures, migration);
- Innovative and steady sources of economic growth (an environmental growth, food industry protection, human and social capital);
- Enhancement of the development measuring procedures (improvement in the statistical data quality in the developing countries);
- Labour and employment including emancipation and empowerment of women involved in the economic sector.
In the course of the session the OECD Secretary General has been presented the following documents, publications and initiatives of the OECD:
- The 50th anniversary publication of “The OECD’s Economic Review”;
- The OECD Strategic Guidelines;
- The Strategy of Professional Skills;
- The OECD Green Growth Strategy;
- The Guidelines for the multinational enterprises;
- Recommendations on minerals transportation from the zones of conflict and zones of high risk;
- The OECD Development Strategies;
- The Report on the OECD gender initiatives in education, provision of employment and entrepreneurial business;
- The Initiative to create the Government Debt and Bond Market Management Center for the African countries.
The Chairman of the OECD Council H. Clinton on behalf of the OECD member countries presented the statement named “The OECD Development Prospects in the 50th anniversary of the OECD formation” confirming the OECD mission to assist a steadier, environmentally safe and socially justified economic growth, increase in employment and improvement of the quality of life. The given document specified three principal task blocks of the OECD and the OECD member countries, i.e. refining of a policy being the life quality improvement factor, working-out of the new world economy development approach, creation of a global network on the state policy issues.
In the course of the OECD Council session the signing of the letters of exchange between the Russian Federation and the OECD has been done; they confirmed the intention of Russia to join the OECD Convention on struggle against corruption of foreign officials when concluding international business transactions, and effected the full membership of Russia in the OECD Working Group on struggle against corruption when concluding international business transactions.
E.S. Nabiullina, the Minister, has held the meetings with the OECD Secretary General Angel Gurria, the European Commissioner of Trading Karel De Gucht, the Director General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Pascal Lamy, the US Trade Representative Ron Kirk, and the Minister of Finance of Chile Felipe Larrain.